Friday, March 2, 2012

Levertov again...

I didn't get around to posting yesterday... So here's a two-part poem by none other than Denise Levertov:

Lovers (1)

With one I learned
how roots turn
to grip loam,
learned
the pulse of stone,
mineral arteries,
skyless auroras.

Was it so indeed?
I remember now
only telling myself
it was so.

Another led me
under the wing of
the waterfall. Light
was fine mist.
My skin was myself.

I remember now
only the words,
what they tell is gone.

And others I loved -
what were their kingdoms?
What songs did I sing of them,
and gazed from what high windows
toward their borders?

I journeyed
onward, my road always
drawing me further.



Lovers (II) : Reminder

'But that other:
he danced like a gypsy's bear at the winter crossroads,
the days of your youth and his are a bit of blue glass
bevelled by the oceans and kept in his pocket,
wherever he is is always
now.
Touch, mass, weight, warmth:
a language you found you knew.
He brought you
the bread of sunlight on great platters of laughter."

Read those last two lines again please - "the bread of sunlight on great platters of laughter"! And "a bit of blue glass bevelled by the oceans"! Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment