Thursday, July 26, 2012

Virginia Woolf in Mexico


Let us simmer over our incalculable cauldron, our enthralling confusion, our hotch-potch of impulses, our perpetual miracle — for the soul throws up wonders every second. Movement and change are the essence of our being; rigidity is death; conformity is death: let us say what comes into our heads, repeat ourselves, contradict ourselves, fling out the wildest nonsense, and follow the most fantastic fancies without caring what the world does or thinks or says. For nothing matters except life.” 
- Virginia Woolf from “Montaigne”.

Anecdote of the day: I've been desperate for good coffee every morning, and I found a place a couple days ago that's pretty good... I made a fool out of myself on Tuesday when I didn't understand the word for cinnamon, and then gave them the wrong change. Today, I went to the same place, confident that I would do it right this time - which I did, but as soon as they gave me my coffee, I spilled it all over everything. So to the people at La Charamusca Cafe, I will always be a clumsy, stupid American. There's no escaping it.

No comments:

Post a Comment