Sunday, November 13, 2011

For the love of poetry

Firstly, I would like to apologize for my inconsistency as a blogger. I blame it on the lack of a clear theme or purpose in my last blog. But I have an idea. I'm forming an entirely new blog focused entirely on POETRY. I've had so many conversations with people in which I get ridiculously excited about poetry, and they tell me something along the lines of, 'I wish I could be that passionate', or 'I never know where to start', or 'How do you even find good poetry?'  Pssh. Good poetry. What is good poetry? Let's not go down that rabbit trail, though...
My point is this: I love poetry, and I want other people to love it, too. I wish I could write beautiful things for all of you, but I would rather share with you the poetry which I've found and which I feel brings such a richness and fullness to the "dreary intercourse of daily life" (for those of you who read that quote and knew immediately what it was from, you know me well. Wordsworth, by the way.)
Egads! My writing is not flowing well today. This is exactly why I would like to share poetry written by people more brilliant than myself, in the hopes that it will enrich your life, as it has profoundly changed and shaped the way I think and feel about so many things! (That sentence almost ran away from me...)
Thus, I give you....

Once Only - Denise Levertov
All which, because it was
flame and song and granted us
joy, we thought we'd do, be, revisit,
turns out to have been what it was
that once, only; every initiation
did not begin
a series, a build-up: the marvelous
             did happen in our lives, our stories
             are not drab with its absence: but don't
expect now to return for more. Whatever more
there will be will be
unique as those were unique. Try
to acknowledge the next
song in its body-halo of flames as utterly
present, as now or never.

Notes:
I will not tell you what I think this is about, because that is always up for interpretation. I could talk forever about the significance that I read into this poem personally, but I won't do that. I would like to hear your thoughts on it. This is another facet that I would like to bring into this blog. I want to encourage anyone who reads this to think about the poem and comment any thoughts, reactions, emotions, compulsions, or whatever may arise upon close reading. (I realize that not everyone can comment on blogs, but please comment on my facebook links to my blog posts!)

Ok, go.

No comments:

Post a Comment